Molecular Cuba Libra
300ml White Rum
5 1/4 cup Water
1 Tablespoon Castor Sugar
1 sachet Xanthan Gum
1 sachet Sodium Alginate
1 sachet Calcium Lactate
- Combine castor sugar and xanthin gum in mixing bowl.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of water and the white rum to the mixture.
- Blend with a mixer until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix sodium alginate and coke with a mixer.
- Set aside for 60 minutes to rest.
- Fill a new bowl or tray with 4 cups of water and calcium lactate.
- Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Fill pipette / eye dropper with coke solution and drip into the calcium lactate bath until all of the coke solution has been used.
- Scoop out the coke caviar, which you have now created.
- Place coke caviar in shot glasses.
- Top up shot glasses with white rum mixture.
Smells strongly of the white rum with which it is made, which isn't surprising since all the coke is in caviar pieces on the bottom. Upon taking it to your lips, you are definitely unsure of what to expect, but as soon as you drink it you tastebuds are incredibly bewildered as there is so much going on. For a start it is quite potent, it hits you with a sweetened white rum, but it is still quite potent. No burn. The whole way through you get lovely crisp orbs of the coke-like caviar. It's texture is jelly-like, similar to ones used in bubble tea. The work together well though, but it takes a few moments for you to adjust to the taste sensation that its taking over you.
It is definitely different and it looks quite interesting. Would definitely win you brownie points at a party if you rocked up with it. We recommend trying it at least once, but we feel that you, much like we were, will be divided over you likes it and who doesn't: there wasn't much of a middle ground.